Typically, at the AOs YHC has experience with, the PAX show up around 0520-0525, but when YHC pulled up (yes, YHC drove the 70 yards to the AO…somewhere in there is an explanation that involves storage for the Shovel Flags, extra gloves, F3 Stickers, and a cell phone) at 0522, there wasn’t a soul around, until Hook Up showed up at 0524. For several minutes after, YHC began to think it might be just a Head-to-Head beatdown, as there was no one around. But at almost 0530 on the nose, and in the blink of an eye, 15 PAX materialized out of thin air and the workout began, with 2 FNGs (Card Trick and The Commish) joining in 3/4 of the way thru the warm up. With all PAX, but especially FNGs, it’s always better to join late than never.
This is a free workout. You’re out here voluntarily. Push yourself, but don’t hurt yourself. Let’s mosey.
About 59F and just perfect. Won’t have too many more mornings like these, so enjoy it while it lasts.
- Side Straddle Hops x 25 IC
- Seal Jacks x 25 IC
- Imperial Walkers x 25 IC
- Moroccan Night Club x 25 IC
- Windmills x 15 IC
- Grass Grabbers x 15 IC
The PAX counted off 1-2, 1-2…and without further ado, we pushed off to mosey around the dirt trail on the perimeter of the CES playground/field, the circuitous route of which reminds YHC of the board game Chutes-and-Ladders.
Crossing S.Rice, where preparations were underway for the Bellaire 5K Trolley Run, we proceeded to the field in front of the amphitheater, where YHC had planned to deliver the day’s #downpainment. Upon approaching the oval shaped field, all could see that the race had set up registration tables along the perimeter of the field. Thinking that since the middle of the field was unoccupied, YHC led the PAX there and then began to issue instructions about the first exercise.
Just as the PAX were prepping to initiate movement, a loud voice boomed from the amphitheater, “You know, we have a wide open area on the other side of the pool that you could use.” Yes, YHC is familiar with the terrain there, but it’s not the same. It’s a stretch to call it “wide open”, especially in contrast to the field we were standing on, so YHC asked, “Is it a problem? Are we going to be in the way?” “Yes!” was the curt response. Well, being that there were only a couple places and octaves that one could take a “conversation” like that, YHC opted to grant Herr Race Organizer his wish and mosey on.
Regrouping in that “wide open” space, YHC instructed the PAX again. The PAX were to perform Hand-release Merkins (IC) on each side of the field, starting with 10 and crisscrossing the field, they were to take one rep off each time, until they reached 1. To traverse the “wide open” space, the PAX were to perform a Broken Wheelbarrow or modify to a plain Wheelbarrow.
The first thing YHC learned about that “wide open” space is that it’s likely “wide open” and unused, because there’s some prickly weed that is growing in the grass there that easily penetrates not just shirts, but most forms of gloves, too. YHC figured that out pretty quickly on the first hand-release Merkin, after having been fully impaled on this stuff. Still, the PAX pressed on through it.
Having completed that routine, YHC took the PAX to the handball court. where the PAX performed 15 Donkey Kicks OYO, held People’s Chair for one solid minute, and a BTTW for a minute, the last 30 seconds of which, the PAX slowly walked their hands out, until they were almost horizontal.
From there, the PAX moseyed to the children’s playset, where 4 PAX at a time did 10 Swerkins OYO each, while the rest of the PAX cycled through various Planks.
After that, it was back to the Toyota Center for Six Minutes of Mary: Low Flutters, Rosalitas, LBCs, Heals to Heaven, and Box Cutters.
Sufficiently smoked, we called it a day.
17 PAX – a new record for The Yard! It seems that the F3 seed that was sneakily planted within the Condit Dad’s Club only two months ago has not only gained roots, but really begun to grow. Among those posting today were 3 FNGs (more below) and two Second Helpings. Just as exciting as seeing the numbers grow, is seeing the improvement of the 3S2T among the PAX. Men, who 6-8 weeks ago had to heavily modify every exercise and had to take walking breaks during even the shortest of moseys, are pressing on. Most are to the point where they’re off their knees for Merkins; they’re keeping tight on the moseys; and during 6MOM, when their smoked and their feet hit the ground, they’re jumping right back in a rep or two later, pushing themselves further, rather than just giving up. The quantity and quality of the PAX keeps heading up-and-to-the-right, which is inspiring to be a part of. Keep it up men!
- Card Trick – Mike Marx pulled a fast one during Count-O-Rama, stating that he was 29 years old and no one called him out on it. Frankly, when YHC first heard that, YHC took a closer look and thought either the ears were going or this guy had put some serious miles on the car in a very short period of time. In reality, he’s 45, and either has a sly sense of humor or has apparently swapped roles with his M, and is now the one who goes around lying about his age. Incidentally, he builds poker tables for a hobby.
- The Commish – Jorge Puig apparently is quite involved in Bellaire Little League, hence the F3 name. So, if your 2.0 gets put on the ‘wrong’ team, you now know who to call.
- Zidane – Vik Karla works in private equity, but either plays soccer or is just a big fan of the game…honestly, YHC can’t recall and since YHC fat-fingered the video recording of the naming session (rookie move), YHC can’t go back to determine which it was…regardless, the Zidane reference was completely lost on YHC, as the last soccer game YHC watched was about 10 years ago and involved the 2.0s in a rec league. With the power of Google directly at the fingertips, YHC is going to have to say that a real opportunity was lost to go with Kojak vs Zidane, but Zidane it shall be.
Ball of Man
Circle of Trust, Ball of Man and Thoughts and Prayers
- TaPs were given for Boring’s friend’s daughter, who underwent an appendectomy, and her swift, safe recovery.
- We gave thanks for Huffy’s 2.0’s first steps, which occurred just this past week. As fathers, we can all relate to the anxiety that’s generated when a 2.0’s development falls behind the “normal” schedule. Huffy, if he’s anything like YHC’s 2.0 that took equally long to take his first steps, it may just be a sign of intelligence; YHC’s had figured out it was a lot easier getting carried everywhere, than having to hoof it.
- GrowRuck 03 – New Orleans June 9-11 combines F3 Grow School with a GoRuck Tough. If you’re sitting on the fence about this event, sign up today. This is a custom GoRuck event, which has been specifically designed for F3 to help reinforce the Leadership Development training that the PAX will be exposed to over the course of the GR03. As a FenceSitter, you will have nothing but regret for a long time to come, as the PAX that do participate come back and retell story after story of this transformative experience. So, don’t miss out – sign up! http://bit.ly/2nWxT5H
- Spartan Race. Austin – May 21 Please sign up for the first official F3 Texas(Houston, Dallas and San Antonio Pax) #CSAUP Quick summary, expect 4-5 miles with 20-23 obstacles, and lots of burpees. See link for more details on the race: http://sprtn.im/2oQwa5n
- Word of the day – 3S2T: The goal of the King: Strength, Speed, Stamina, Toughness (physical) and Toughness (mental)..
Thanks for the chance to Lead.