13 PAX, including 4 Friendly New Guys (FNGs), arrived at Condit Elementary School for a Trojan Horse Launch of F3 Houston’s latest Area of Operation (AO), The Yard.
We called it a Trojan Horse Launch, because instead of approaching it in typical fashion, where PAX would try to sell men on the idea of F3 in an attempt to get them to post, an invitation was sent out by Condit Dads Club for a Free Condit Dads Club Workout. So, it was a bit of a bait and switch, but it seems to have worked. We’ll refine this tactic and likely employ it on a go-forward basis elsewhere as we grow F4 Houston.
The Yard is so-named because it is adjacent to the Bellaire Police holding pen, so a prison reference seemed apropos. With a running trail, an open field, a small set of stairs, plenty of benches, a gazebo, a small amphitheater, and a children’s playground, it has all of the necessary ingredients for a solid AO.
Several of the FNGs indicated their intention to return for Second Helpings, and a few guys who Fartsacked this past Saturday, have already said they plan to be there this coming Saturday. It will be interesting to see how fast we can grow the AO in concert with The General.
Thanks to all for coming out on a chilly morning to participate in the launch of The Yard. YHC is not a professional and won’t have a clipboard counting your reps. This is free, voluntary workout. You’re here of your own choosing. YHC’s intention is to provide a challenging, yet doable workout. You should push yourself, but don’t hurt yourself. So, if you need to cut the number of reps down, modify the exercise, or take a break, as needed. Listen to your body.
YHC also provided a 30-second Q school for the FNGs, so they’d understand the format YHC, as Q, would be following over the course of the workout.
It was 50°m but between the dampness and slight breeze, it felt much cooler, until we got moving.
- Mosey along the pathway at CES to get the blood flowing
- Side Straddle Hops x 25 IC
- Seal Jacks x 25 IC
- Imperial Walkers x 20 IC
- Moroccan Night Clubs x 20 IC
- Windmill x 10 IC
Mosey across S. Rice, over to The Yard. With 7 experienced PAX members, 2 PAX back for Second Helpings, and 4 FNGs, YHC paired the PAX up for a DORA 1-2-3. Starting on the east end of The Great Lawn in front of Tanglewood (small amphitheater), P1 performed the reps, while P2 ran down and back 40 yards. The DORA included:
- Merkins x 100
- Squats x 200
- Flutter Kicks x 300
Having completed the DORA, the PAX remained paired up for Partnered 11s, which involved Hand-Slap Merkins and Hand-Slap Big Boy Situps.
After a short mosey, meant to provide a quick tour of the rest of the AO, the PAX returned to the outdoor basketball court at CES for Six Minutes of Mary. For the SMM the PAX performed:
- LBCs x 10 IC
- RLBCs x 10 IC
- Oblique Situps x 4 IC R/L
- Dollys x 10 IC
13 PAX, including 4 FNGs and 2 Second Helpings (Redfish and Oxy).
- Welcome to FNG Samir Mehta (Bling)! Samir is originally from California, but has spent the last 30+ years in Houston and is in the jewelry business. YHC is sure that more than a few PAX will be contacting Bling in a panicked state in the future, say the day before their M’s birthday or perhaps even the day of their wedding anniversary! As the head of the Condit Dads Club, Bling also deserves T’claps for getting the word out for the Trojan Horse Launch.
- Welcome to FNG Craps! Rasheed Powell is an Army vet who hails originally from Las Vegas. The PAX quickly steered clear of that other Casino favorite “Slots”, because there were just too many ways to go bust on that one.
- Welcome to FNG Brass Monkey! Tapan Nadia is a Brooklyn native, who traded the urban-blight of NYC for that of Houston some 16 years ago. This Rutgers grad is a “cancer doctor” at MD Anderson, where he is an associate Professor and specializes in Leukemia. Word has it from Fireball that he can throw it down on the dance floor. If true, thrown together with The Bishop’s and Whiskey’s karaoke skills, we may have the makings of an America’s Got Talent hit squad!
- Welcome to Rupee! Rajesh Chelapurath grew up in India and came stateside to study at Tulane (Didn’t know they did that there!). He’s been living in Houston since 1998 and is an investment manager, who owns his own company.
Ball of Man
Circle of Trust, Ball of Man and Thoughts and Prayers
- Prayer request for Bublé’s friend, who has been diagnosed with Stage 3 Colorectal Cancer, which also served as a great reminder to the PAX to register for the SCOPE run, put on by MD Anderson and which raises awareness about that same illness.
- With an expected launch time of 0630, it was 0626 when Whiskey, looking around and seeing only ~5 PAX and no FNGs suggested that if we had a No Show, that we all caravan up to The Hogg for the 0700 BC. Fortunately, while our faith was tested, by 0629 the Count of PAX and FNGs had grown to 13.
- Fireball, who lives ~50 yards, from the AO managed to post at 0628, a full two minutes before Step Off time. That was a pleasant surprise, because as the time drew near, YHC was growing convinced that despite the proximity to his house, e was still going to Coming in Hot
- Tclaps to the PAX for helping the FNGs get through the DORA and 11s. There was much encouragement to be heard out on The Great Lawn that morning, which was what was needed. After all, we’ve all been there and shouldn’t forget it.
- Spartan Race. Please sign up for the first official F3 Texas(Houston, Dallas and San Antonio Pax) #CSAUP Quick summary, expect 4-5 miles with 20-23 obstacles, and lots of burpees. See link for more details on the race: https://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/1880/overview?filter=sprint Key info:
- When: Sunday, May 21, 2017
- Where: Reveille Peak Ranch|105 CR 114 Burnet, TX 78611
- Event Q:We need one for the F3 Houston Pax. #leadership opportunity. Who wants it?
- Registration Info:
- Event:Spartan Sprint (NOT the Super)
- Heat: Sunday Morning, 1115-1200 Heat
- Team Name: F3Texas
- Password: Fish61
- Why:#CSAUP Races are signature events for the F3 Nation. The Spartan Race is a excellent chance to test your Fitness, growth in Fellowship and deepen your Faith (believe me, you will be praying during the race…) Ask any Pax who has done one, and they will tell you that #CSAUP events are their favorite F3 activity!!! #seeforyourself
- SCOPE 5K: Run for Colorectal Cancer. This is the next F3 Houston #CSAUP event. Pace Car and Cruiser are the Event Q’s. Colorectal cancer is bad news and especially prevalent in men. The plan if for an F3 workout before the run starts, and then crush the race. Some details are still being finalized, but here is what we have so far. See link for more details on the race:https://thedriven.net/event.race_reg/eid/7514234679?
- When: Saturday, March 25, 2017
- Where: Texas Medical Center, 1220 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX
- Start Time: 0800
- Event Q:Pace Car and Cruiser #Tclaps
- Registration Info: https://thedriven.net/event.race_reg/eid/7514234679?
- Team Name: F3 Nation (Make sure you register under our team)
- Donations: Pace Car and Cruiser are accepting donations. The goal is to reach $1000 to obtain Silver Level Sponsorship, which will put the F3 logo on the back of the race shirt.
- @F3_250.What the heck is this?!? Well, it is a challenge to the Pax to make a personal commitment to working out 250 times in 2017. F3 workouts count, as well as any 30+ minutes exercise sessioin you complete (yes, even with your M if you can last that long!?!). T’claps to Duggar who just completed the #F3twofiddy challenge this week. The Bishop, Britney, Cruiser and Duggar Hard Commits #HC for 2017. Time for YOU to step up for your own @F3_250 #accountability
- F3 COMZ. Because we are only working out together 3-4 hours a week, communication between the Pax is a key way to build our Fellowship as a group. #CommunicationIsKey There are multiple ways to stay in touch:
- Twitter. YHC highly encourages the PAX to get on Twitter. It’s not a scary as it sounds, and it’s a great source of real-time updates, #MumbleChatter and hilarious (and occassionally horrifying!?!) images from the PAX. If YHC can do it, then trust me that anyone can. Suggested Twitter handle: @F3[F3name].
- f3nation.com. This is the key resource for all things F3, but especially for the Backblasts, a written account of a Workout or Event that the Q Posts to a public forum. You can find the #BBs for F3 HOU here: http://f3nation.com/locations/houston-tx/
- Facebook. F3 Houston has both public and private pages (Duggar can get you access to the latter). It is a great place to look at pics and videos from our workouts.
- Word of the day – LIVING THIRD: A Q’s consistent and deliberate placement of himself third behind his Creator and his Community.