- When: March 2, 2019
- QIC: KY
- The PAX: Choo Choo, Beetle Juice, Rehab, Siesta, Ruby, Bullseye (R), Tater, Abacus, BOP, Camo, Strongwood, KFC, Prince, Chief, Avalanche (FNG)
YHC issued an all call for sandbags, and they were delivered; one sandbag for every 2 PAX. YHC brought some crazy new ideas to entertain the PAX, which always brings out the Mumble Chatter. We saw some competition, some mud, and some “loving” stares for YHC during the Ring of Burpees (see below).
This morning’s winkie was designed to really target the shoulders, specifically the anterior, posterior, and lateral deltoids. It’s a tough muscle group to target without some focused attention
YHC hopes some of these new exercises make it into the F3 rotation, because sandbags are awesome and bring a different level of suck to the beatdown. YHC has put links to videos of the movements to help the next time. YHC also did some learnings on the new movements and captured that AAR in the Naked Man Moleskin below
56F and misty. Fields were muddy, which only made it more fun
YHC is not a professional. F3 workouts are voluntary and FREE – you are here voluntarily #YouAgainstYou. Modify as needed. Notify the Q or rest of Pax of any serious medical conditions #PushYourselfButDontHurtYourself.
- 25 Side Straddle Hops – IC
- 20 Little Baby Arm Circles – IC
- 20 Reverse Little Baby Arm Circles (thumbs down) – IC
- 20 Seal Claps – IC
- 20 Overhead Claps – IC
- 25 SSH – IC
- 20 High Knees – IC
- Gather up the sandbags (4 40#, 2 60#, 2 80#) and get in a line, sandbag placed every other person. Inchworm backwards, performing a Over the Shoulder sandbag toss. Repeat until the end of the parking lot.
- Shoulder the sandbags and mosey to the soccer field.
- Split into two teams, sandbags split evenly between the teams. Line up shoulder to shoulder in high plank. Perform L to R Sandbag Pull Through across the field. Rinse and Repeat with a R to Left pull through.
- Still in teams, circle up with a sandbag every other person (2 40#, 60#, 80#) and perform the Ring of Burpee Fire. Clean and Press the 40# & 60# sandbag (80# was a simple Clean or Deadlift). Immediately do a burpee. YHC lost count of how many we did, estimated at 17+. KFC remarked to YHC around rep 15 “KY, I don’t like you anymore.” So we did a couple more just to really make sure of that.
- Shoulder bags and mosey to the end of the track and back.
- Line up again in teams, except in a Bear Crawl starting position (head over the ankle of the PAX in front of you. Perform a rear to front sandbag pull through with dominant hand (like this video, except without the bear crawl). Go across the field. Rinse and Repeat pull through with non dominant hand.
- Line up in a single file, shoulder to shoulder. Perform a Sand Bear Complex and move to the next bag. Person on the end moseys with the bag to the other end. R&R until YHC was satisfied.
- Shoulder sandbags and mosey back to the flag
- Crocodile Pushups (no rucks though) – 20 IC
- Ranger sit-ups – 10 On Q (line up 2 lines facing each other: shoulder to shoulder, lock ankles and elbows; do sit-up)
- No time
CountORama and NameORama
17 Pax and 1 FNG
As mentioned, this was a whole lotta new for the PAX. Some went really well, some didn’t. YHC put a competition layer on some of the movements, which incentivized the PAX to priotrize speed over form. Looking back, YHC should have reinforced form more with the dangers.
Specific movement AAR:
Over the Shoulder Sandbag Toss: mostly good. 80# was probably too much for some and an alternative movement would have been good
L to R & R to L Sandbag Pull Through: Reinforce the requirement of 3 points of contact to ensure a stable back. Tendancy to stand up on feet an pull SB across, adding significant rotational stress to the back.
Ring of Burpee Fire: worked really well. Maybe less sandbags to slow down the speed
F to B Sandbag Pull Through – Again, tendency to stand up and pull the bag through with the back with significant sheer stress on the back. Reinforce requirement of 3 points of ground contact
Sand Bear Complex: Simplify. Don’t move sandbags, just move the PAX. And slow it down.
- GORUCK Operation Anaconda T/L – 3/15-16 Link
- Ruck the Gauntlet – April 13 (see Band announcement)
- GORUCK Battle of Bagdad – 5/3-4 Link
- GORUCK Scavenger – 5/5 Link
For those few of you who have not yet signed on – get onto BAND today, either via smartphone app (links here: apple / android), or via the website. This is our new preferred Comz Channel going forward – download it and join the band called “F3 Houston” to get all the info on F3 Houston. Here is where you can learn who are the upcoming Qs, sign up yourself to be the Q, read our Backblasts for each WO, learn details of our next CSAUPs, and as usual, make fun of the guys in the Pax in general with some good ol’ Mumble Chatter.