14 Pax took their Turkey Day DRP with a P.I.L.G.R.I.M.S. 1621 inspired String of Pearls (SoP) at The Hogg. Welcome to FNGs Picante and (Yo,) Adrian! Also great to have Juice, who’s Down Range (DR) for the week, join us from F3 Savannah!
What is F3? It’s a Free, Men’s, Peer-led workout group that’s held Outdoors, Rain or Shine, Hot or Cold. On this fine day, YHC was that Peer, as Q; clearly, YHC isn’t a professional, so Pax were instructed to go at their own pace and to modify according to what their bodies were telling them.
57° F felt a little nippy at the start, but after only a few minutes of moving around, conditions felt just like they really were…perfect!!
Mosey to the end of the parking lot in front of St. Theresa’s Church, line up and perform High Knees, Butt Kickers, Side Shuffle R/L, and Karaoke R/L on the way back to the Shovel Flag (SF), where the Pax circled up for:
– Moroccan Night Club x 16 IC
– Side Straddle Hops (SSH) x 21 IC
– Windmills x 16 IC
– Little Baby Crunches (LBCs) x 21 IC
Mosey to El Camino Real (ECR), hook a Ralph, and continue down to the Crossroads West (intersection of West Memorial Loop and Memorial Drive; ~1.62 miles from the SF). Pax stopped along the way for the following #painstations:
- Plank Jacks x 16 IC
- Iron Hulk (Jack Webb 1:4) x 21 IC
- Lt. Dans x 16 IC
- Groiners x 21 IC
- Reverse Crunches x 16 IC
- Imperial Squat Walkers x 21 IC
- Merkins x 16 IC
- Singlet Merkins x 21 IC
Mosey back along ECR with that new #crowdpleaser, the Burpee-Catch-Me-If-You-Can-Indian-Run, dubbed en route by the Pax as the Bataan Death March. As the Pax approached the Fun Deck, we transitioned to a standard Indian Run, so as to return to the SF on time and let Pax get back to their families to celebrate Thanksgiving.
14 Pax, including 2 FNGs and one DR visitor.
#FNG Welcome Picante (Andrew Gehring)! He may be Britney’s brother, but he proved he wasn’t his B!tch. Picante is an attorney in that great city responsible for so many of the imitation salsas on the supermarket shelves, New York City. Picante just returned from a trip to Mexico City, where he ate Ant Eggs with a chaser of Agave Worms. Actually, it may have been what was in the bottle the Agave Worms came in that was the chaser. Either way, think twice before inviting him to a pot luck dinner.
#FNG Welcome (Yo!) Adrian (Jeff Meiler). Jeff is YHC’s brother-in-law, in town with his wife and three daughters for some Thanksgiving fun. Adrian lives just outside Philadelphia and runs a start up financial services company. Truth be told, Adrian had actually posted with YHC last Christmas and received an F3 Name then, but neither of us could recall what it was. Turns out, we rediscovered later that it was something oh so hard to remember, Cheese Whiz. But like when you hit a provisional shot and strike it again, just before finding your original drive, you can’t play your first shot, you have to continue to play that provisional ball, penalty stroke and all. In that same way, Cheese Whiz is history and Adrian it is.
#DR Visitor – The Pax were glad to have Juice from F3Savannah join them for a little pre-turkey DRP. Juice is Down Range (DR) this week, because he grew up in Kingwood and is in town to visit his family for the holiday. Rather than Fartsack and forgo his DRP, Juice decided a little serving of Hogg was in order, before loading up on turkey and stuffing, Juice HC’d to coming out Saturday and the Pax will be glad to have him.
BoM (Ball of Man)
YHC gave Thanks for F3 Nation, Dredd and OBT, its co-founders, and for the men of F3 Houston. YHC congratulated the Pax for how far they had already come, both individually and cumulatively. YHC spoke of the incredible impact that F3 Houston was going to have, not just on the City, but eventually on the great state of Texas. YHC reminded the Pax that to fulfill its true potential, the men of F3 Houston would need to Always Be Headlocking (#ABH) and giving away to all the Sad Clowns they know, what has been given to them. YHC asked the Sky-Q to bless the Pax, near and traveling, with wisdom and courage, so that they may become part of the Solution and act as HIMs to the communities in which they live.
– In the COT, YHC explained to the Pax that the first letters from the names of the exercises they had performed, spelled out the word PILGRIMS and that the reason for alternating between 16 and 21 reps on each exercise was to remember the Pilgrims who celebrated their first Thanksgiving feast back in 1621. That was as far as YHC wanted to take the history lesson for the day.
– Cruiser and Dr. Seuss either missed the memo about starting at 0600 for the Thanksgiving BC or are deeply committed to not arriving late ever. Both were sitting in their vehicles at the AO, when YHC pulled up at 0540. #commitmenttoexcellence
– Tclaps to Dr. Seuss…EH’d by some nut job (YHC) while at his son’s basketball game #oktotalktosomestrangers, Seuss has quickly earned his Doctor title by posting for three in a row. Keep it up and stay strong! #thedoctorisinthehouse
– Thanks for the patience of the Pax. YHC worked in a few 6 count exercises, including the Imperial Squat Walker. Not so sure why YHC’s brain had short-circuited, but it did. After the Squat, YHC performed Hill Billy Walkers, instead of Imperial Walkers. Focusing on the timing of the Count, instead of what YHC was actually doing, it took until the 10th rep, before YHC corrected the error of his ways.
– Hookup and Boring deserve some credit. As the Pax performed the Bataan Death March back towards the SF and YHC indicated a transition to just a straight Indian Run, Hookup and Boring, who were the two Pax at the back of the line, insisted…and YHC does mean insisted…on performing additional Burpees, before proceeding on. Just as we tell Pax that they can Modify, if things are getting too much for them, so too can Pax swing it the other way, and ratchet it up. After all, as we say, it’s ultimately You Against You (YAY).
– Spewer deserves both to be heckled and praised. It was upon returning to the SF, after our Out-and-Back, that we found Spewer waiting at the SF. Apparently, he hasn’t quite mastered the art of setting an alarm, because apparently rolled up to the AO about 5 minutes after the Pax had stepped off. Had he packed it up and gone home, some serious heckling would’ve ensued. BUT, determined to take his DRP, Spewer ran down (just not far enough) along ECR looking for the Pax. Not able to find us, instead of tucking tail and heading home, he Q’d his own BC! For that, Spewer, you deserve some high praise! Attaboy!
– Return to Regular Programming. The Thanksgiving holiday is now behind us, so it’s time to return to our regular programming. Saturday, we will be holding workouts at 0600-0700 and 0700-0800. So, pick your pleasure. The early session will be a SoP workout, while the second session won’t be quite so mobile. If you loaded up your plate more than once, till the food scraped the ceiling, you might want to consider coming out for a Double Down.
– F3 Apparel. While the Pre-Order deadline for F3 Houston’s first official race jersey has come and gone, there’s still plenty of other swag to be had at the Mudgear web site. Let’s make sure we fly our F3 colors at The Hogg; order your swag today. : www.f3.mudgear.com/collections/2016-official-f3-race-jersey-pre-order
– Word of the Day (WOD): THIRD-500 The ages of 40-60 (roughly) when a man will win or lose the race set out for him based upon whether or not he has continued to Accelerate through the first half of his life. Abbr: T500.
Thanks for the opportunity to lead. Aye!