YHC is not a professional and I don’t play one on TV. F3 workouts are free and voluntary. Use good form and don’t be afraid to ask for a demonstration. Modify if you need to modify. Push yourself, but don’t hurt yourself! #youagainstyou
The temp in the AM was low to mid-70s. It was really gorgeous weather but you can tell its starting to get hot in Houston.
Warm it Up:
Mosey from the Parking Lot to the Field behind the pool to warm things up. Stretch those hammies and calves, because we’ve got some running to do.
- SSH 15x
- Abe Vigodas 15x
- Grass Grabbers 15x
Early on, the objective was to make it ~1.25 miles from the shovel flags to our inaugural parking garage beat down in a timely manner. Rather than just jog, we channeled CA with some High Intensity Interval Mile (“HIIM”) runs. From the east side of the park we headed east down Blossom Street, then took a right on Detering to get to the garage. We broke ~1.2 miles up into three straight aways, consisting of the following:
- Merkin Indian Run. Last person drops and does 5 merkins, runs to the front of the line as rest of PAX mosey at just a little better than recovery pace.
- Once all PAX have finished Merkin and returned to formation, jail break to location designated by YHC
- 10 Count / Recovery Walk (no stopping)
Rinse and Repeat – 3x or once for each straight away. By the time we got to the parking garage we were smoked.
Next was the parking garage. The Grow Ruck team scoped out this garage on a recent ruck. There are five total levels, meaning 10 brief uphill runs each followed by a flat landing. Coincidentally, there are four exercises in the deconstructed burpee, five if you include the Burpee itself! So we did two rounds of the following to get to the top of the garage:
- 5x merkins, sprint to next level, 10 count
- 5x in and outs, sprint up a level, 10 count
- 5x copperhead squat, sprint…, 10 count
- 5x Bobby Hurleys…, 10 count
- 5x Burpees, 10 count
We were completely smoked by the time we got to the top. We recovery walked down the stairs to the first floor, then turned around and pounded the steps all the way back up to the top, hitting every step.
We did our three HIIM straightaways on the way back, this time replacing 5 merkins with 5 copperhead squats. Then recovery mosey back to the shovel flags.
5 Pax, no FNGs.
Ball of Man:
TAPs to Beta who is getting married in two weeks. T’Claps for taking the plunge, brother. We remembered Pew and Honor Roll who were in town Thursday visiting a sick loved one. Don’t forget how blessed we all are. Also, raised up our brothers who went on to the Spartan Run on Sunday.
This workout was a real beatdown. The garage is a greatway to incorporate incline running / exercises into the workout and really gets the heart rate going. Look forward to using it again. Great job guys.
- GrowRuck 03 challenge: June 9 – 11 in New Orleans. It will be an awesome event with approximately 35 of our F3 bretheren in town. Sign up for the event here: http://bit.ly/2nWxT5H
- Twitter/Band: We have a good comms system going for F3 Houston via Twitter and Band. Get on either and look up F3 for regular updates and #Mumblechatter. Inferno or one of the other PAX (YHC included) can also help get you hooked up.
Thanks for the Opportunity to lead. BOOM!